Friday, March 31, 2006

A Few Notes From the Basin 29 March 2006


Wednesday turned out to be a great day out in Whiskey Bay. I lead a snake field trip for a LSU Native Wildlife class. Since we had been told this was going to be a snake trip for a herptetology class, I was surprised to see that many of the students were carrying binoculars. After our brief introduction at 3:15 p.m., we headed down Happytown Rd., where had had some luck in the past flipping cover. It was refreshing to see the mosquitos were represented in such healthy abundance. We flipped everything in site, and only turned up a few juvenile five-lined and a couple of adult broad-headed skinks. I suppose I should also mention the couple of nice purple ground beetles we found too.

As it would turn out, the day actually belonged to the birds. Just along the levee road (north of I-10), we had three mentionable experiences. I kept seeing a large raptor soaring on long, flat wings behind the tree line. After coming around a curve in the road, the bird was now in good viewing condition. It proved to be an adult Bald Eagle, being harassed by an Osprey. Most of the students were able to see it before it disappeared again behind the tree line. About 1/2 mile further down the road, I saw more birds soaring off to the left. Three Swallow-tailed Kites with three Turkey Vultures! One of the students asked "What kind of tailed kite is it?".

Riding with me in the USGS truck was a young lady from Zimbabwe, Africa. She had been asking me about turkeys in the Basin. We knew there was a turkey hunt going on, so I wasn't surprised when the topic came up. I told her that I had never seen turkeys in the Basin and that I probably hadn't seen a turkey in the wild in ten years or so. Before we could say anything else, a gobbler Wild Turkey ran acorss the road in front of us coming from the levee! I couldn't believe it!

So, even though we didn't see all that many herps, we had a great day out regardless. We did see a couple of banded watersnakes and a few of last year's alligators. We need some serious rain here in the Basin. There are places that are usually hosting standing water, that have been dry for months!

James

2 comments:

jim said...

Nice report James! Thanks, Jim

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]basinblogger.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Here is a fact for you. Recent Research presents that closely 60% of all United States adults are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.